Vineet Kumar is an Indian actor and writer who primarily appears in Bollywood films and Hindi web series. He made headlines for playing the lead role of Shravan Singh in the Bollywood film Mukkabaaz (2018).
Height (approx.): 6′
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 40″, Waist 33″, Biceps 15″
Gangs of Wasseypur
In 2012, to play the role of Danish Khan in the Bollywood film Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1, Vineet shed 17 kg of his body weight as the story demanded his character to be lean and skinny.
I was 75 kgs then and had to reduce 15 kilos in three months because Anurag wanted my ribs to show. When he made up my mind that I am here for a long haul I also realised that my body is my tool to express. So I have invested a lot on it. Now I can easily lose and gain weight according to the role.”
After playing minor roles in films, Vineet got his first break as a lead actor with the film Mukkabaaz in 2018. After he was selected by Anurag Kashyap to play the role of Shravan Kumar Singh, Vineet underwent rigorous training to build stamina, strength, and a strong muscular physique.
To prepare for his role as a boxer, Vineet took training in Patiala, Punjab. While training, he didn’t reveal his identity as an actor and continued as an ordinary player. In an interview, Vineet revealed that he was injured several times while training with his coach, but he kept going and said,
The punches were so fast that you just can’t react. Suddenly you realize some wetness on your body and wonder what it is. You see and realize it’s blood. This used to happen frequently.”
In 2022, before starting the shoot for the film Siya, Vineet Kumar weighed around 84 kg. He worked diligently to lose nearly 20 kg as per the demand of the character. In an interview, Vineet talked about shedding his body weight to prepare for the role of Mahendra and said,
I was preparing for an action film and had gained weight. I was at 84 when Manish ji called and I agreed to do the film even before reading script. Later, when I read it, I realised I look nothing like Mahendra. Mahendra could not dominate Siya in the frame, I was looking like someone whom no one would want to mess with. It would have become just another film with the hero snatching away justice for her. That was not the idea, I could not be Hanuman as Mahendra. So, I went back, did what I do and lost weight. When we started the shoot, I was at 67 or 68 kg.”
Rangbaaz: Darr Ki Rajneeti
In 2022, after shooting for the film Siya, Vineet shoot for the web series Rangbaaz: Darr Ki Rajneeti on ZEE5 for which he gained 10 kg of his body weight to play the character of Haroon Shah Ali Baig. In an interview, Vineet talked about the reason behind gaining weight for the web series and said,
I had to put on 10 kgs during the course of shooting for Rangbaaz-3; it was to get the aging of the character right. It was a gruelling process but all well that ends well.”
Vineet Kumar belongs to a Rajput family.
Parents & Siblings
Vineet’s father, Shivram Singh, is a mathematics professor. His mother is a homemaker.
Vineet has two sisters, Mukti Singh Srinet and Tripti Singh, and three brothers; one of his brothers is a lecturer.
Wife & Children
On 29 November 2021, Vineet got married to his long-time girlfriend, Ruchira Ghormare Singh, an actor. They tied the knot in the presence of their close friends and family members in Nagpur.
Reportedly, Vineet met Ruchira in Mumbai and before getting married, Vineet dated her for almost eight years. They used to live together in Mumbai.
Vineet Kumar follows Hinduism.
After completing his post-graduation from Nagpur, in December 1999, Vineet shifted to Mumbai to search for acting opportunities. Vineet participated in the Superstar Talent Hunt competition and emerged as the winner. One of the judges in the Superstar Talent Hunt competition, Mahesh Manjrekar, an Indian actor and director, offered him a small role in the film Pitaah starring Sanjay Dutt, but the film failed at the box office. In an interview, Vineet talked about the challenges he faced after his debut film failed miserably at the box office, he said,
I came to Mumbai to participate in a talent hunt in 2000. I won the competition, got the movie Pitaah (Sanjay Dutt-starrer) and I thought I would be made once the film released. The film released and flopped. I was not prepared for the failure. Things I had never imagined were happening to me. I had no godfathers in the industry. The people I knew were either doctors or players.”
After the release of his debut film, Vineet started working as an assistant director to Mahesh Manjrekar, and he assisted him in six films like Rakht (2004), Padmashree Laloo Prasad Yadav (2005), Viruddh (2005), and Deha (2007). Later, he acted in some Bhojpuri television shows to fulfil his financial needs. In 2007, Vineet quit his job as an assistant director and shifted his entire focus to acting.
Vineet, along with his sister, Mukti Singh Srinet, wrote the script of the Bollywood film Mukkabaaz. He wrote lyrics for the title track of the film Ugly (2013) and for the song Paintra from the film Mukkabaaz (2018).
In 2002, Vineet made his acting debut with the film Pitaah starring Sanjay Dutt in which he played the role of Bhola.
In 2009, he made his Marathi debut with the film Me Shivajiraje Bhosale Boltoy in which he played the role of Dubey, a taxi driver. In 2011, Vineet made his Bengali debut with the film Ami Subhash Bolchi in which he played the role of Dubey. He shot to fame in 2012 for playing the role of Danish Khan in the Bollywood film Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1, and its sequel, Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 2.
After struggling for eighteen years, in 2018, Vineet gained recognition for playing the lead role of Shravan Kumar Singh in the Bollywood film Mukkabaaz.
Later, he appeared in a few films like Gold as Imtiaz Shah (2018), Saand Ki Aankh as Dr Yashpal (2019), and Gunjan Saxena: The Kargil Girl as Dileep Singh (2020).
In 2019, Vineet made his digital debut with the web series Bard of Blood in which he played the role of Veer Singh on Netflix.
In 2020, he appeared as Vikram Sirohi in the web series Betaal on Netflix. In 2021, he appeared on SonyLIV in the web series Tryst With Destiny as Gautam. In 2022, Vineet played the role of Haroon Shah Ali Baig in the web series Rangbaaz: Darr Ki Rajneeti on ZEE5.
Vineet has appeared in a few commercials for brands like Birla Sunlife and 7up Nimbooz.
- 2013: Nominated for Best Supporting Actor for the film Ugly at the Screen Awards
- 2018: Best Actor in a Leading Role for the film Mukkabaaz at the FOI Online Awards
- 2019: Nominated for Best Actor (Critics) for the film Mukkabaaz at the Filmfare Awards
- 2019: Best Actor (Critics) for the film Mukkabaaz at the Critics Choice Film Awards
- 2019: Nominated for Best Actor (Critics) for the film Mukkabaaz at the Screen Awards
- 2021: Iconic Corona Yodha Award at the Iconic Gold Awards
- 2022: Best Actor Award for the web series Rangbaaz: Darr Ki Rajneetiat at the Zee Rishtey Awards
Vineet Kumar owns a Ducati Monster 797.
- Sport(s): Basketball, Hockey, and Cricket
- Vineet is fondly called Vin by his family members.
- Vineet is a national-level basketball player.
- In an interview, Vineet talked about his struggling days and revealed that he skipped his meals so that he could afford train tickets to visit the casting directors for auditions.
- Vineet is fond of singing and rapping, and he often shares his videos on various social media platforms. In an interview, he revealed that he wrote his first rap at the age of fifteen. In 2013, Vineet lent his voice to the title track of the film Ugly.
- Vineet is proficient in languages like Hindi, English, and Marathi.
- Vineet approached various producers with the script of the film Mukkabaaz with a condition that he would play the lead role in the film. In 2016, while in the hunt for a producer, Vineet started training with the MMA boxers in Mumbai as he was sure that his script would be taken into consideration. In an interview, Vineet revealed that it took around 3 years to find a producer for his script and said,
I started boxing training after I wrote the script. I thought the film would be made in a year, but three years went by making people just listen to the script.”
After being rejected by several producers, Vineet approached Anurag Kashyap, and he agreed to direct the film. After Anurag decided to direct the film, Vineet sold all his belongings in Mumbai so that he could shift to Punjab to train himself as per the character of the film.
- In 2020, during the lockdown amid Covid-19, Vineet, took to Twitter, to show his resentment towards the government facilities as he was not able to buy a specific medicine to treat his family members. As his tweet went viral, Pankaj Tripathi immediately responded and helped him in finding the medicine.
जिन्हें सन्देह है उन्हें बताना चाहता हूँ, की मेरे परिवार के सदस्य बीमार हैं, कुछ मित्र बीमार हैं,और मैं ख़ुद भी बीमार हूँ।
— Vineet Kumar Singh (@vineetkumar_s) April 16, 2021