Bawa Sellathurai wears many hats: he is an Indian writer, storyteller, actor, literary activist and farmer. Bawa is well known for his Tamil short stories and he is also an actor in Tamil cinema and Jay Beam is one of his biggest hits.
Wiki / Biography
Bawa Sellathurai was born on Sunday, April 22, 1962 (Age 59 years; Until 2021) In Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu. Native zodiac sign Taurus. Bawa attended Danish Mission High School in his hometown of Thiruvannamalai.
Height (approximately): 5 ′ 9
Hair color: Salt and pepper
Eye color: Black
Family & Caste
He belongs to a Dalit Christian family.
Wife & Children
Bawa married KV Shailaja, who owns and operates a publishing house in Tamil Nadu called Vamsi. The couple has two children.
Their son, Vamsi Bawa Sellathurai, is pursuing English Literature at Madras Christian College and he made his first documentary in 2019 under the name Ashwagosh. Bawa had another son, CB, who died in an accident.
He also has a daughter named Manasi Bawa Sellathurai.
Religion / Religious Views
Bawa grew up to become an atheist.
Bawa is a well known name in Tamil storytelling societies. He writes unique short stories and has “story mantras”. Most of Sellathuvari’s works have already been translated into English, Hindi and Malayalam, and are now available in French, Spanish and German. Bawa started storytelling with his friend JP, who said in an interview that the two decided to perform every Friday evening at his friend JP’s Quartis Multilingual Conversation Center in Thiruvannamalai. Bawa added,
We started this storytelling event next Friday. Without a big plan for it, without a poster or a banner, the story of this place is happening and we will put a post on Facebook. It was attended by 60 people.
The writer tapped into his acting ability and made his debut in Tamil cinema in 2016 with the film “Joker” in which he appeared in a comedic role.
Following her debut, Bawa starred in several Kollywood films. In 2019, he appeared in the Tamil language film Peranpu as Siddha Kudimagan. The following year, the actor made two films, Psycho, Akbar and Walter, Eeswaramoorthy. Bawa played Annath’s husband in the film Chennai in 2021. In the same year, he was acclaimed for his acting skills in the widely acclaimed Tamil drama Jai Bhim, in which he was seen as a politician named Natraja.
Sellathurai is a popular Tamil writer who started writing in 2011. His first book “Ruins of the Night” was co-authored by Janaki Venkataraman. In 2013, he co-authored with V Nedu Cheliyan his second book, “Time”. Bawa published two books as an author in 2016 – Bashir’s Room is not very open and Dominic. In 2018, he published two more books entitled “Karthika All Day” and “19 DM Saron”.
In May 2021, Bawa won the Best Actor award at the Golden Sparrow International Film Festival for his film.
Facts / Trivia
- Bawa is a declared Marxist.
- He is the President of the Tamil Nadu Progressive Writers’ Association.
- In 2010, the storyteller used the video site YouTube to continue his storytelling, and his named channel has more than 35K subscribers by 2021. Sellathurai said in an interview that he had no such intention; However, his son, Vamsi, recorded his third and fourth storytelling events and uploaded the videos on YouTube. It eventually launched the gossip YouTube channel. Bawa added,
Actually, I have this YouTube channel and I do not know how to start it. He [Bava’s son] I bought a camera and learned everything about photography.
- Sellathurai is an advocate for Dalit rights and has been a member of the jury that conducted the public inquiry into the 2017 Dalit massacre in Tamil Nadu. A Madurai-based NGO organized the investigation.
- The actor spoke strongly against the construction of a drainage pipe in the Sonagiri forest in Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu.