Purna Jagannathan is an Indo-American actress and producer. He is best known for his role as ‘Safar Khan’ in the HBO series The Night of (2016); ‘Maneka Vashisht’ in the Bollywood film Delhi Belly (2011); ‘Katie Richmond’ in the TV series – Big Little Lies (2019); ‘Dr. Nalini Vishwakumar in Netflix’s Never Have I Ever (2020) series.
Wiki / Biography
Purna Jagannathan was born on Friday, 22 December 1972 (Age 47 years; As in 2019) In Tunis, Tunisia. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He grew up in Pakistan, Ireland, India, Brazil and Argentina, and he did most of his schooling in these countries. He also studied at Sardar Patel Vidyalaya School in New Delhi. He studied at the University of Brasilia in Brazil, and received a minor degree in journalism and drama from the University of Maryland, College Park. He continued his postgraduate studies in fine arts at the Actors Studio Drama School at Base University. However, he dropped out of school a year later and learned acting from his teacher, Elizabeth Camp, whom he met while in college.
Height : 5 ′ 6½ ”
Eye color: Black
Hair color: Black
Family & Race
He comes from a Tamil family and is a South Indian American. His father Krish Krishnan was an Indian ambassador. His mother’s name was Vasantha Krishnan; Both his parents are from Chennai.
He has an older sister named Saratha.
He married Azad Oommen and the couple has a son, Anav Oommen.
In the movies
She made her acting debut in the film She Hate Me (2004) in the role of ‘Song’s Girlfriend’.
He has played minor roles in the American films The Weather Man (2005), Awake (2007) and Peace, Love & Misunderstandings (2011). She made her Bollywood debut in the Bollywood film Delhi Belly (2011) with the role of ‘Maneka Vashisht’.
He has acted in supporting Bollywood and American films like Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (2013), Growing Up Smith (2015), Gary Bilpi (2016), The Circle (2017), Mile 22 (2018), Share (2019). ), And the birth of Alia (2020).
She made her television debut under the megahit American television series Law & Order (2004) as ‘Rehana Kemlani’.
He later appeared in several hit television series, including Rescue Me (2006), Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2006), The Game (2008), Numbers (2009), Royal Bains (2010), and House of Cards (2015). NCIS: Los Angeles (2016); In small vessels. In 2016, he appeared in the lead role of ‘Sabar Khan’ in the serial ‘The Night Off’.
He has starred in many popular TV series such as Gypsy (2017), The Blacklist (2017), The Act (2019), Big Little Lies (2019), Defending Jacob (2020), and Never Have I Ever (2020).
In the theater
He is also an established playwright and a member and board member of The Barrow Group, a non-profit off-Broadway theater company based in New York City. He was deeply moved by the Delhi gang-rape and murder on December 16, 2012 and produced and starred in the play Nirbhaya, written and directed by South African director and playwright Yale Farber. The Nirbhaya Assembly Hall opened in August 2013 during the Edinburgh Margin Ceremony. The play focused on breaking the silence on sexual violence against women. The play won the 2013 Amnesty International Award, the Scotsman’s French First and the Harold Angel Award.
Awards & Achievements
- Kamala Basant Max Stardust Awards 2014
- Verve magazine named her one of the top 50 most powerful women in India in 2014
- 2014 Croatia Magazine Best Costume Award
- Concept of International Amnesty Freedom 2013
- The first award of the Scotsman Fringe in 2013
- Herald Angel Award in 2013
- The most fashionable Indian woman of Cosmopolitan in 2013 and 2012
- Winner of the 2012 L’Oreal Femina Women’s Awards
- In 2012, she was featured in Femina Magazine’s list of “50 Most Beautiful Women in India”
- Plays: Our town of Thornton Wilder, Yal Farber’s Amajuba
Facts / Trivia
- She loves watching movies, watching theaters and reading.
- Before starting her career as an actress, Purna worked in the advertising industry.
- From a young age, she was called ‘porn’. Speaking of her nickname,
I did not even know what pornography was then. But you know, it’s been my nickname for many years. Also my Instagram handle @poornography_. So I took it – there are no two ways about it.
- Purna has been featured on the cover of Marie Clary, Femina, Jade and Exodica and has appeared in numerous publications such as Vogue, Harbor’s Bazaar, Elle, Cosmopolitan and Gracia.
- She was featured in Vogue magazine as one of the 8 women who changed the face of beauty in India in 2012 and as one of their list of most stylish women in 2012, 2014 and 2015.
- Dog lover and owns a pet dog.