Puneet Issar is an Indian actor, writer and director. He is very famous for portraying the character ‘Duryodhana’ In the Indian epic TV series “Mahabharata” (1988).
Wiki / Biography
St. Issar was born on Friday, November 6, 1959 (Age 60 years; As in 2019) Amritsar, Punjab. Native zodiac sign Scorpio. His family is rooted in Rawalpindi, Pakistan. After graduating from St. Lawrence High School in Mumbai, he went to Midibai College to pursue his degree. After completing his degree, he completed his acting studies at the Film and Television Institute of India in Pune.
Height (approximately): 6 ′ 3
Hair color: He is bald.
Eye color: Brown
Family & Caste
St. Issar a Brahmin family. He is the son of film director Sudesh Issar. Not much is known about his mother.
Puneet is married to Deepali, the daughter of Punjabi actor Diljit Puri and Bengali singer Ashita Puri. The couple has a son, Siddhant Issar, and a daughter, Nivriti Issar.
He started his career as an acting professor at the Indian Film and Television Institute in Pune. After a long struggle in the industry, he landed the role of ‘Pop’ in the Bollywood film “Coolie” (1983). However, during the filming of the movie, Amitabh Bachchan was injured in an Issar accident. No one was willing to work with the saint after this incident. Later, he struggled for six years and played small roles in some B-grade films.
In 1988, he got the role of ‘Duryodhana’ in the epic TV series ‘Mahabharata’, which established him as an actor.
Subsequently, he appeared in TV serials like “Bharat Ek Koj,” “Jai Mata Ki,” “Nurjahan,” “Love Story”, “Kahani Chandrakanta Ki” and “Bani Ishaq da Kalma”.
Issar made his Malayalam film debut in 1992 with “Yodha”. “I Love India;” Punith made his debut in Tamil cinema with the film. “Samrat;” He made his Kannada film debut with the film. “Bhagya Depada;” Introduction to Bengali film by film. “Master;” He made his Telugu film debut with the film. And Punjabi film debut with “Rab Ne Panayan Jodiyan”. “Ashant,” “Kalnayaka,” “Refugee,” “I Am Singh,” “Qayamat Hi Qayamat,” “Krishna Arjun,” and “Son of Sardar” are some of his Hindi films. Puneet made his directorial debut in 2004 with the film “Curve”.
In 2014, he starred in the game reality show “Big Boss Season 8”. He was one of the top 5 finalists and stayed at the Big Boss house for 105 days. In 2019, he appeared as ‘Maharaja Digambar Singh’ in ZEE5’s web series “Parchai”.
Amitabh Bachchan was unexpectedly injured while filming a fight scene in the movie “Coolie”. Amitabh was seriously injured and had to undergo surgery. The incident made Sacred a real-life villain in the public eye, and he was criticized across the country. However, after Bachchan recovered from the injury, Puneet corrected things by saying that he had done nothing intentional.
Facts / Trivia
- Puneet Issar’s father was also a film director and retired to many artists including Jagjit Singh, Raj Pappar, Anita Raj.
- He holds a fourth-degree black belt in martial arts.
- Initially, Puneet wanted to join the Indian Army.
- He aspired to be a villain in Hindi films. Although he is a trained actor, his physique and appearance made him look for villain roles.
- St. Issar, along with his ‘Mahabharata’ troupe, has performed in many live shows in India and abroad.
- He has been an avid playwright.
- In addition to being a trained actor, Izar has also served as a professor of speech, verse and method acting.
- Puneet is also a trained mixed martial artist. He is trained in karate, kung fu, boxing and wrestling.
- Puneet is well versed in Hindi and Urdu.
- Puneet became very famous for playing the role of ‘Duryodhana’ and in real life people started calling him by the name of his character. He once shared in an interview that a Marwari businessman invited Rupa Ganguly and Puneet to dinner and refused to serve him believing that Duryodhana was not good.