Vidya Vox is an American singer, songwriter and YouTuber.
Wiki / Biography
Vidya Vokes was born on Wednesday 26th September 1990 under the name ‘Vidya Iyer’ (Age 29 years; As in 2019) in Chennai. His zodiac sign is Libra.
He started learning Carnatic music at the age of five. When she was eight, her family emigrated to the United States. He grew up in Virginia, USA. He earned his BSc in Minor Psychology and Biomedical Sciences from George Washington University and plans to pursue MCAT in 2012 to enroll in a medical school. At the same time, he worked in a clinic. In the midst of all this, he decided to make his living in music. Later, he went to India for two years to learn Carnatic classical and Western voices. He learned Carnatic music from DK Padammal’s brother DK Nagarajan.
Height (approximately): 5 ‘3 ”
Eye color: Black
Hair color: Black
Family & Caste
Born into a Tamil family. He has a sister, Vandana Iyer.
She has a boyfriend, Shankar Tucker, a clarinetist and composer.
Vidya, along with her sister, Vandana and her boyfriend, collaborated with Shankar in 2011 and voiced Shankar’s composer You Can Remember on his YouTube channel The Sruthi Box.
He continues to perform with Shankar’s band. She has performed at various events such as the White House, the Center for National Performing Arts (India) and the festivals at Webster Hall and Reunion Island, des Arts, INK Women, and the Meru Concert Series in Suriname, Dubai and the Netherlands. She launched her YouTube channel in 2014, including Xia’s ‘Big Girls Cry’ and ‘Kabi Jo Badal Parse;’ Uploaded the first video of the mashup of songs. The video is no longer available due to copyright issues with Yash Raj Films. His YouTube channel has over 6.50 million subscribers. Love me like you do
His first album was released in 2017 under the title ‘Punch Fire’.
His second album is ‘Mad Dreams’ (2019).
Awards & Achievements
- YouTube Creator Awards – Silver Button at 2015
- YouTube Creator Awards – Gold Button in 2016
- Food: Rice, Pulses, Bindi Sabzi, Dosa & Sambar, Pizza, Tacos, Burritos
- Song: Gia Jale from the movie “Dil Se” (1998)
Facts / Trivia
- She enjoys playing tennis, reading and dancing.
- According to her, her father misbehaved with her mother and was very restrained. He guided his family on what to do and what to wear. When he became more violent, her mother left her and her sister. But, thus his music teacher refused to teach music to Vidya.
- Growing up in the United States was not easy for Vidya, as she was an Indian and she was not accepted in her school.
Growing up in the United States as an Indian was not easy. I was teased about Indian foods and the color of my skin and why my knees and elbows were so dark.
- Being an Indian and living in the United States, he experienced a mixture of two cultures while growing up. Speaking of which, she said.
It was so good. It has always felt like two different worlds. At home, I would sing hymns and praises, eat dosa and sambar, but when I went to school I would eat Backstreet Boys, Destiny’s Child, Usher and pizza. That tug of war between the two cultures intimidated me. ”
- While studying Vidya’s Pre-Med, he opened his own YouTube channel and started posting videos on them. After graduation, he decided to choose music as his career.
- His nickname is ‘Vox’ which means ‘voice’ in Latin. She got the name when she realized that Shankar had stored her voice recording as ‘Vidya Vox’.
- He is fluent in Tamil, Telugu, English, Hindi and French.